Monday, May 23, 2011

Under My Bed

Based on an image I did back in 2006 for a Portuguese cg forum contest titled "Under My Bed". Having grown up with movies like "E.T.", "The Goonies", "Poltergeist" and "Cat's Eye" where kid's rooms were gateways to fantasy worlds, I thought I would come up with my own homage to those wonderful movies.
I struggled somewhat on the latter stages of this painting, as I wanted to really cram the room up with toys. However, as I kept adding things they all looked out of place or seemed to detract from the main focus which were the tentacles. In the end I don't know if the image ended up feeling too "empty".



5 comments:

Mark K said...

Fantastic lighting and atmosphere - a real juxtaposition of the safe, warmth of the family home mere metres away, and this slime covered beast lurking beneath a child's bed.

Love the colours of the tentacles - not sure if you meant it to be that way, but they look almost inviting and warm?

Brilliant piece.

Emily Su said...

dude fantastic stuff! I signed up for the James Paick summer class and recognized your name in it :D

Herético said...

gosh, you do this!?
i wanna marry you.

Anonymous said...

ED MEESE IS MARKED!

O.Koch said...

Very cool stuff man! Realy cool! James is a great mentor!